Preparation Phase Timeline:
Semester 1: January 2021 – June 2021
Semester 2: September 2021 – December 2021
Semester 3: January 2022 – June 2022
The Preparation Phase has been established to help:
- Identify a Healthier Generation Advisor in each school building.
- Establish a Healthier Generation Committee (similar to a Wellness Committee) in each school building, to be led by the Healthier Generation Advisor.
- Assist schools to enroll in the Alliance for a Healthier Generation online platform of resources and tools.
- Strengthen the District Wellness Committee.
- Bring the District Wellness Policy into alignment with the model wellness policy from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation.
Schools that apply to be included in the Empowering a Healthier Generation Program – Preparation Phase will be eligible for the following resources:
- $1,500.00 Healthier Generation Advisor Stipend per individual school building. ($500.00 to be paid in Spring 2021, $500.00 to be paid in Fall 2021 & $500 to be paid in the Spring of 2022). This individual will be trained and supported by Sullivan 180.
- Up to $3,000.00 Preparation Grants to support the initiatives of each Healthier Generation Committee, ($1000.00 to be paid in Spring 2021, $1000.00 to be paid in Fall 2021 & $1,000 to be paid in the Spring of 2022). This can be used at the discretion of the committees but should support the goals of the District Wellness Policy.
- Comprehensive training to prepare the Healthier Generation Advisor and the District Wellness Coordinators.
- Access to monthly Sullivan Healthier Generation Council meetings. Coordinators and advisors will receive encouragement and support to work through any challenges that may arise. These meetings will provide valuable information and resources that should be brought back to districts and schools for sharing.
- Access to regular support from the Sullivan 180 team and its Healthier Generation partners. This includes technical assistance as well as speakers and trainers for topics such as:
• childhood obesity prevention
• templates for model school wellness policies
• healthy fundraising & celebrations
• workplace wellness
• policy & environmental change to support building a culture of health
The Turtle Awards are a way to acknowledge schools and school leaders for guiding their students, faculty and parents toward healthier and longer lives. Turtles represent Mother Earth, health and happiness. They are a symbol of longevity, endurance, persistence and the continuation of life, sometimes against incredible odds. These awards recognize that although change takes time, we can make progress with small steps toward long lasting solutions; and along the way we are moving closer to positive health outcomes for our community and our children.
· Nutrition – this Award is given to the school that has made progress in increasing fruit & vegetable consumption in new and creative ways.
· Physical Activity – this Award is given to the school that has made progress in increasing movement amongst students, staff and/or families.
· Mental Health – this Award is given to the school that implements new programs to improve self-awareness, mindfulness and/or spiritual well-being.
· Water – this Award is given to the school that creatively inspires healthier beverage choices.
· Mother Earth – this Award is given to the school that activates outdoor space and connects students and staff to nature while instilling a sense of respect and care for our environment.
· Collaborator – this Award is given to the school that demonstrates collaboration with partners from the School Resource Committee and the community at-large.
Each Turtle Award comes with a $500 award to further health related initiatives of the school’s Healthier Generation Committee. These awards will be generously sponsored and presented by Sullivan 180 partner organizations and supporters. To become a Turtle Award sponsor, please contact Samantha Mango, Marketing & Communications Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 845-295-2683.